Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Renaissance Man, well sort of.

Last year when I turned 50 I decided that it was time to fully embrace the Lord's restoration of me.  Being physically and emotionally healed it was time to move forward and begin a new journey of self discovery and creativity in my life.  To take on new challenges.   To embrace and dive into all the activities that I love so much.  To stretch my intellect and reach for the stars!  I love to read, cook, write although not well, garden and anything to do with the ocean!  Surely I could find my renaissance in these noble activities.  I would become in my 50's a man of culture and refined tastes.  People would see the difference.  I would become the must invite to all the parties!   Yea, right.
   Certainly I do all these  activities with more regularity and passion then I ever did.  Except the ocean thing because I live in Wisconsin.  But I have a plan for that too.  God has graciously grown me spiritually so I can be at peace more when I am engaged in my passions to just enjoy the moment and quit expecting the epiphany.  This gives me more contentment and allows Him to work through me to improve in these pursuits.  Well, after almost a year and a half of this quest it has come down to this.  I make jam!  That's right jam.  Good old fashioned, nectar of nature, made with love in small batches mind you jam.  I know, awesome isn't it?  Einstein had the Theory of Relativity.  Newton had the Law of Gravity.  Michelangelo had the Sistine Chapel.  I have jam.  The same product Smuckers and a host of others have been doing for eons.  Oh, well.  God gave it to me and I'm running with it.  In my mad laboratory that is the kitchen I can be found scurrying about cutting fruit, tossing pots and pans and mumbling to myself.  Tasting and adjusting, tweaking and adding, boiling and canning.  All in the name of God knows what.  But you know what?  I'm happy!  In a subliminally gratifying way I find great satisfaction in this endeavor.  And my family loves them!  What more could you ask?  But wait, there is more, literally more.
  In my utopian stupor created by sugar and fruit, I have quite the inventory building up.  I have 6 unique flavors and 2 cases each made.  One hundred forty four jars of bliss.  Enough preserves to sweeten the lives of family and friends for the next several years.  Lot's of happiness but bad economics.  So it's off to the farmer's markets this fall to debut my world premier, totally unnamed, untested except by unfailingly loyal family members gourmet jams company!  Tada!  Look out world!  I see myself as the new jam master, the godfather of sweetness,  the bolt of lightning from nowhere.  Not really.  But I'm sure to make a little money, meet some nice people and do a bit of the Lord's work.  In essence, add to my contentment and continue my personal renaissance while growing in peace and ministry.  Who knows, God works in mysterious ways.  This could take off and you could see me schilling my product shamelessly on QVC?  I don't know and really don't care.  The joy is in the jar and I'm having fun.  It's not as valued as a Picasso but it tastes better with cream cheese!

Job 36:11
If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love it Rick! May you bear much Fruit for the Kingdom : )

    ReplyDelete