Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Where is your treasure?

I walked out this morning to put the garbage out and check the mail.  Part of my usual morning routine of coffee, bible and prayer time, visiting with my wife and getting ready for my day.  When I opened the mailbox in the midst of the endless junk mail and bills was a rather plain looking envelope from an attorney in Wausau, WI.  I took a breath and knew that these envelopes usually harbor three things: a settlement, a lawsuit or a judgement and notice.  I opened it rather reluctantly and sighed deeply.  It was what I had been expecting but I was trying to avoid the painful emotions it would stir once it arrived.   You see it was our notice of a sheriff's sale for our house.  Our home, our refuge, our place of sanctuary and pride of accomplishment.  The place where we raised our children, shared meals, laughs, tears, prayers, joys and sorrows.  Where I worked so hard maintaining and on the lawns and gardens.  Painted, fixed, replaced, upgraded, remodeled and gave my best to take care of.  All gone.  In the sanitary unemotional world of the modern banking system we were now officially a liability and not an asset.  I read the notice and gave it to my wife.  Part of me wanted to cry again as I could feel the knotting in my stomach and clenching of my throat as I fought back the emotion.  Part of me wanted to laugh sarcastically and defy them and their notice.  To fight till the bitter end.  But I was checked in my spirit quickly and the Lord reminded me that this was His home.  That it was by His grace and favor on our family that we were able to buy it in the first place. He had supplied the job, the prosperity and the money.   He would allow the ownership and allow the loss of it both equally under His sovereign authority.   Even though I was suffering through this ordeal with the humiliation and shame it can bring I had peace.  But peace by submission and not by admission.  Let me explain.
   When you become a Christian one of the first things you learn is that even though we are the children of and heirs to the Most High God, with all the privileges and rights, we are not immune to the trials and tribulations of our short mortal lives here.  We will face hardship and sorrow just as much as any other person be them a believer or not.  Sometimes we will look at others who don't love the Lord and wonder why we have misfortune and they are seemingly prospering in their sin.  Why me Lord?   After all, I read my bible, I pray, I love you.  Jesus said that He came to give me life and to give it abundantly.   Well, where's my abundance?   I paid my taxes, worked hard, don't steal, try to be honest and worthy.   This is abundant life?  Try wrapping your mind around that!   What kind of reward is this Christianity anyway?    In my growth as a Christian I have learned, albeit not easily,  that there is divine purpose in all we do just as Romans 8:28 says- And we know that all things work together for good, for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.
   That simply means that God has a reason and that reason is for our effective growth and work in His life's plan for us.  Because after our suffering there will be resolution and glory in His name if we are in submission to Him.  If we allow Him to take us through by His hand.  In layman's terms He will use it for good.  To help us and to help others too.   A wise pastor said recently that too many of us Christians want the glory of testimony.  We want the imony but don't want the test!  Powerful in it's simplicity.  In order to have others see Christ's glory in us then we must have the temperance and experience of overcoming life's trials to truly understand the meaning of His life's work on earth.  It is the changed heart and willful mind of the believer which knows that after the rain comes the sun.  After death comes life.  After sorrow comes joy.   The single greatest lesson I am learning from this experience is that my God does and will supply all my needs and my families too.  This is just a house made of wood and metal.  Heck, it's not even my real home!  As a matter of fact, it's a stepping stone for His next great phase in our lives!  We spend so much time accumulating all the treasures of this world that we often forget about the treasures of our hearts.  The ones that don't rust or rot.  Don't fall apart or are taken away.  Can't be seized by man or banks.  So, we will go forward.  Our family is strong, our hearts will be blessed and God will restore.  And I will testify about His goodness!

Matthew 6:19-21-  19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.




No comments:

Post a Comment