Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Misplaced, Displaced or Replaced, Aren't They All the Same?

I have this bad habit of immediately forgetting where I set my keys, phone or wallet when I am running around trying to get ready to go somewhere.  I don't know if this is an unfortunate part of the aging process or a case of just being too hurried.  Either way, I end up searching for minutes at a time, mumbling to myself and accusing my family members of heinous acts of mischief.  My wife would be just shaking her head as if to both sympathize with my plight, as she has suffered from the same malady, and to enjoy the fact that it isn't her for once.  Usually, I would get myself quite aggravated and at whom I don't know.  But wouldn't you know it, there they would be in exactly the same place I had left them.    So why is that place always the last one you check?   One of life's cruel ironies I guess.  This exercise in futility has caused me to wonder what God must think of us as we often run around aimlessly chasing the trivial aspects of our lives expending tremendous effort, as if our very function and existence depended upon them.  Now, we do need our keys, wallets and phones, but that's not my point.
  Companies spend millions of dollars either producing products or publishing information to help keep us from misplacing, displacing or needlessly replacing our possessions.  So off we go enthusiastically and buy them.  In doing so we breathe a collective sigh of relief in falsely believing that we now have ensured ourselves of having everything placed in perfect order.   That is off course until the next time we are running around cursing our children for losing our car keys or hiding our cell phones.  Alas, at least perception is reality I guess.  But this is not the case with the more weighty matters of life.
  As human beings we often put our Creator on a shelf.  Conveniently moving Him out of the way only to make room for ourselves and our priorities.  Jesus is pushed aside for the more important aspects of our daily lives.  We don't have time for Him, His advice, His simple blessing or words of encouragement or most importantly His love.  Instead, we go from at first misplacing Him in our lives because other things or people distract us from Him.  To then displacing Him from our hearts because He takes too much effort to seek and know and we don't have time to wait for Him.  To finally replacing Him, with other temporal solutions and selfish notions of knowledge and wisdom that ultimately fail us.  It's often then and only then that we run around acting as if our world is crashing in on ourselves blaming everything and everybody else as we look for our Keys.  Unlike our possessions Jesus is always in the same place.  You can find Him every time you look.  He's never gone anywhere!  As a matter of fact He's always where you look no matter where you're at.   I know of nothing in my life that satisfies me more than knowing that my Lord Jesus who created me and loves me will never lose me.  He has you and me in perfect order.  So slow down, take some time and invest in your relationship with Him.  You'll be amazed how often your Keys are right where you set them!


Revelations 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment