Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Change the Heart, You Change the Mind!

Recently,  Melissa, our youngest daughter Rebecca and myself were at a court sentencing hearing for some dear friend's son who had been in jail on some very serious charges and was now facing his judgment day.   He would know his fate and receive the punishment for the consequences of his young foolish actions.  On his own behalf he admitted his guilt and bypassed what would have been an emotional trial for the community he victimized.  Because of the nature of his crimes, burglary, vandalism and arson to a church, the community was a bit divided to say the least.  There were those who wanted vindication and the full letter of the law applied to this young man and his accomplice.  After all this church had been a pillar of this small community for over 100 years.  Whole families through their generations had worshiped there and now felt profound loss, violation and a sense of desecration.   But there were those folks who had attended the church who had forgiven him and wanted to see him restored to his full potential in God's eyes.  In other words punish him justly yes, but do not cause irreparable harm to him by a long prison sentence.  I was asked to speak on his behalf before the sentencing by his parents.  After all, Luke had stayed with our family for awhile when he was having some trouble at home.  We took him in as one of our own and although it wasn't easy at times, I could see in this troubled young man a bit of myself in bygone days.  I looked at him as my father looked at me when I was having problems in my life.  Part frustrated, part angry and disappointed but mostly a father who was very concerned and caring.  I was objective in my dealings with him but wanted to help him as my parents did for me.
   You see it's when we apply just punishment with adequate mercy, a bit of grace and a whole lot of love and support that we generally see goodness come forth in people.  I am not discounting Luke's actions.  After all, he chose his path and must face the repercussions of that choice.  Just as I had to do when I caused great distress to my parents.  But that's the perfect wisdom of our awesome God!  He put my family in this young man's life for the purpose of working out His good plan for Luke.  He knew the lessons I had learned and would use me and my family to help Luke at this precarious time.  We were ultimately not a preventive measure for his indiscretion and lawlessness.  But rather a pillar of support, love and to witness for Jesus Christ's sake at such a time as when he would need it desperately.  As so many had already judged him and fallen away.  Now I am not trying to pat myself on the back here.  God does the work, we are just vessels for His ordained purposes.  We love Luke just as my parent's loved me when but a few did.  Just as Jesus stood by the side of the adulteress women when the mob wanted to stone her.  He told the mob,  "He among you who is without sin, cast the first stone."  One by one they dropped their stones and walked away.   Jesus asked her, "Woman where are your accusers?"  They all left and He said.  "No one condemns you and neither do I.  Go and sin no more."  Jesus knew that if this woman had conviction for what she had done then that conviction itself was the judgment for her actions.  By forgiving her He did not excuse her but gave her mercy and told her not to do it again.  I do realize that this approach does not work unless a heart is willing.  Then and only then can the mind can see the destruction and realize the hurt it caused.
  Prisons are necessary.  We live in a fallen and depraved world.  People commit horrific offenses against other people and property all the time.  The law is necessary to act as a very serious deterrent to the commission of those crimes or final judgment upon those actions.  Either way it's not God who abandoned Luke.  It was Luke who abandoned God.  God is in the prisons doing great work in a mostly hopeless environment.  But He is also there to help prevent you from getting to that prison.  He worked through my mom and dad when I deserved punishment but got mercy mixed in.   The judge ultimately stayed a long prison sentence and showed just mercy.   Luke has a long hard road ahead with years of restrictions, probation and community service.   But God's now doing good work in Luke as he serves out the rest of His jail sentence and has given his heart to the Lord.  Praise Him!  The bible says that one soul saved causes all of heaven to rejoice!  We all await Luke's release and are eager to see God's plan for his life come to fruition.  Jesus proved to the woman and the world that what was relevant to a person's life back then is still relevant today.  His plan is still perfect.  For God knows that the changed heart alone is the key to a sound and righteous mind.


John 8:7-11

7 But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. 10 Straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment