Friday, February 24, 2012

When Your Nest Empties Out.

This last Sunday was a bittersweet day for Melissa and I as we said goodbye to our precious daughter Alicia.  She has grown up to be a beautiful, strong young woman who is now seeking her God given destiny in life.  Filled with equal parts excitement, trepidation, anticipation and carefully prepared to climb her own mountains, off she went to Chicago.  I don't know how you all prepare for moments like that as parents, but I just criled.  That's right, criled.  The art of graciously smiling but crying at the same time.  My word for the absolute joy and sadness engulfing me as her father watching her fly the nest.  So I gave her my last words of loving advice face to face and reassured her to come home if it didn't work out, but knowing it was a life changing moment for her and us.  It is a great joy and sense of quantitative relief for us as parents that they made it through those dreaded know it all teen years.  But the sadness comes from the break of the parental bond of guidance and protection.  My wife and I have always had these distinct roles.  She is gifted as nurturer and counselor and fierce prayer warrior, I as protector and provider.  Each one of us ideally suited by our wise Father to carry out these duties.  Through the progression of DeAnna, Christina, Ricky and now Alicia we have striven to give them a firm foundation of part wisdom, common sense, compassion and most of all unshakeable faith.  It is that faith that I know will be tested the most.  But God is good!
  Anyway, after my wife got a mop and soaked me up off the floor, I composed myself long enough to thank God for his strength and guidance in seeing us through these twenty one years with Alicia and never failing to give us the unconditional love we often need as parents to do our job faithfully!  I was also reminded back to when I left home and moved to California when I was twenty.  Although, because of my youthful indiscretions and general rebelliousness the sendoff wasn't quite so sentimental.  But the pain that my parents experienced at the time was offset by the peace of knowing they had made the right decisions and given me the foundation I needed to take responsibility and grow up into the son they had desired in their hearts to see.  So, Alicia if you read this, know that your dad will always see both the busy, bouncy little redhead with those steely blue green eyes and mischievous grin and the strong, fearless and determined radiant young woman you've grown to be.  I will miss them both, but am excited for God's great work in your life!  Now, that leaves just Rebecca left.  The baby has seen it all, both good and bad, taken it all in and is unfortunately for her mom and I growing up too.  But that's a story for another day.  As for me, it's off to the hardware store to buy a chain and lock to keep her with us forever!  ;)


Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment