Wednesday, November 2, 2011

To Tolerate is to Obliterate.

Nowadays, it's hard to turn on the TV or computer without overdosing on an overwhelming amount of surreal and sensational headlines or over the top advertising for the legions of reality shows inundating our lives.  From the Kardashian clan, to Snooki and her pals, the Real Housewives of every town and city and countless others which aren't worth naming, the slurry of absurdity flows into our homes and minds at frightening speed.  Worse yet, we are gobbling it up!  There are currently hundreds of reality shows on or in the concept stage or in production now for our ever decreasing standards of quality to enjoy.  If you can't catch them in their time slots you can watch them 24/7 on the web.  The ratings are going through the roof for most of these exercises in mediocrity.  Networks and advertisers are pouring money into these prime time shows and are reaping the profits.  But there is a caveat to all this grandiose entertainment.  What lurks below the surface that could be causing a storm surge of problems?  Simply this, nothing.  That's right nothing.  Nothing is sacred, innocent, out of bounds, unacceptable, demeaning, detestable or immoral, nothing.  Relationships are skewered, marriages are a sideshow, behavior is anything goes, verbal and physical abuse abound and the cameras will keep rolling!   All to the incessant appetite for garbage and shame.  Why even our news media and sports networks are abandoning their former high standards of ethics and integrity and are joining the fray. 
   I am not writing this to suppose myself to be above any of you or your families or choices at all.  On the contrary, I am a father of five children, a parent just like you and I am just concerned, really concerned.  I am not perfect, have made more mistakes, said more hurtful things and done more shameful acts in my past than most.  I've lived like my choices didn't matter to me or to those who I love.  But I am here to tell you folks, they do!  I had to come to a point in my own life where I needed to change and quite literally, thank Almighty God I did.   Most people my age have grown up with a different set of values.  God, family and country really mattered.  My parent's and their enduring marriage and values passed on to me are the linchpin to my own behavior.  Even though I wandered away, I came back to my roots.   I simply wouldn't be who I am without them, good bad or indifferent.  That's the point!   We are the single most powerful influence over our children other than God or lack of in their lives.  They will make most of their choices in life based upon our choices for ourselves and them.  If we act irresponsibly from a parental or moral aspect and don't apologize and atone for the mistakes neither will our children when they become accountable.  If we make bad choices, or watch bad programs or treat others badly then chances are so will they.  What we have given in to over the years is now tolerated as acceptable and is the standard for moral relevancy.  This is tragic, considering the powerful medium TV and the internet play in our lives today.  There are a host of parasites waiting to infect and feed off our children in the absence of loving and concerned parents.  Look around you and observe.  See the rudeness, disrespect, dishonor and shameful behavior of a lot of young people today and you can correlate that directly to the slide in our ethical, moral and religious influences.  We need to stop the bleeding now.  Whole generations of children are falling off a cliff and they are our future.  If they don't care to have the same God fearing moral absolution as others before them than woe be to us all when they are in charge.  We need to quit tolerating the garbage that is claiming our lives and families and fight back.  After all, who is more dysfunctional, the people we watch on these shows or our lives which are being shaped by them?


Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment